We all know the feeling of waking up after a night of drinking – headache, nausea, and an overall feeling of blah. It’s not a pleasant experience, and it often takes more than just a cup of coffee to shake off the effects of a night out.
In recent years, there has been a lot of buzz about probiotics and their potential to improve digestive health and even mood. But can these tiny bacteria actually help alleviate the symptoms of a hangover and improve our mood after a night of drinking?
The short answer is yes – certain strains of probiotics have been shown to be particularly effective in reducing the severity of hangover symptoms and improving mood.
One of the best probiotics for improving mood and reducing the effects of a hangover is Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG). This particular strain has been shown to improve gut health and reduce inflammation, which can help alleviate symptoms such as headaches and fatigue.
Another probiotic that has been specifically studied for its effects on hangover symptoms is Saccharomyces cerevisiae. One study found that taking this probiotic supplement before drinking can reduce the severity of hangover symptoms, including headache and nausea.
In addition to these specific strains, taking a high-quality, diverse probiotic supplement can also be beneficial for overall mood and digestive health. Look for a supplement that contains a variety of probiotic strains, as well as prebiotics to promote the growth of healthy gut bacteria.
Of course, it’s important to remember that probiotics are not a magic cure for the effects of alcohol. The best way to prevent a hangover is still to drink responsibly and in moderation.
But if you do find yourself dealing with the aftermath of a night out, adding a high-quality probiotic supplement to your routine may just help you feel better faster. So next time you’re out drinking, don’t forget to give your gut a little extra love the morning after.You also could see another post where we talk about CAN PROBIOTICS HELP WITH ACID REFLUX CAUSED BY DRINKING? .
- There is limited scientific evidence to suggest that probiotics can improve mood after a night of drinking. However, some studies have shown that probiotics may help reduce the symptoms of alcoholinduced hangover, such as nausea and headache.
- One study found that taking a probiotic supplement containing Lactobacillus helveticus and Bifidobacterium longum for 4 weeks reduced the severity of hangover symptoms in participants who drank alcohol.
- Another study found that taking a probiotic supplement containing Lactobacillus plantarum and Bifidobacterium breve for 8 weeks improved mood in participants who drank alcohol.
- Other studies have found that taking probiotics containing Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, and Streptococcus thermophilus may help reduce anxiety and depression symptoms in people with alcohol use disorder.
- In general, the best probiotics for improving your mood after a night of drinking are those containing Lactobacillus helveticus, Bifidobacterium longum, Lactobacillus plantarum, Bifidobacterium breve, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, and Streptococcus thermophilus.